Zenni Optical and Buying Glasses Online

The Saga Continues . . .

I ordered from Zenni Optical over a month in advance of a vacation so I would be sure to have new glasses and sunglasses.  Calling to cancel after a wait of nearly a month now, I got the most unsympathetic customer service person I have EVER encountered.  She informed me, in no uncertain terms, that I COULD NOT have a refund and COULD NOT cancel the order.  The glasses had been made, she said, so there was no turning back.  

I protested at my long wait and asked whether anything might be done to get me my glasses.  She said, NO, and added the glasses would be shipped six days from now and then would take an additional 8-9 days!  I then asked if they could do anything for me to make up for the inconvenience.  Again, the answer was NO.  I pointed out that nothing on the web site suggests an order should take more than three weeks.  She said that was just a suggested time to wait.  

I hung up with the Zenni customer service woman giving no ground whatsoever and suggesting nothing to help.  I decided to call again about an hour later.  The new customer service rep was wary of me because he could see I’d called earlier.  I was not belligerent at all.  Those of you who know me, know that.  He was more pleasant, but equally unable to propose any solution.  He said, as various agents of the company have at certain points, that one pair included a photochromic lens and that was holding things up.  (After dealing with Zenni, I am near concluding that putting a photochromic layer on a pair of glasses may be harder than developing a nuclear bomb.  In fact, I am certain Iran has not been able to break the photochromic glasses barrier!)  Trying to improve my own situation and be my own customer service rep, I suggested that they send me the glasses without the photochromic lens and THEN send the photochromic pair when they are completed.  In other words, break up the order and send as available.  Amazon has done that for me from time to time without even being asked.  He put me on hold and managed to win assent to the proposition.  He said it would be done, but didn’t sound confident and said I should call back if I haven’t heard anything in a couple of days.  

As a professor, I have to give Zenni a grade of FAIL.  We’ll see if they can get their paper in late and manage a re-appraisal to a grade of barely adequate minus.